the best and worst of a day in retail

Monday, October 15, 2007

Five seconds


So, Shopgirlove has always had a weak spot for Alan Alda. He's not particularly attractive. Not that he's unattractive, but let's face it, he's no Clive Owen. However, he takes us places we might not otherwise go. I learned about Kismet from him--blink, blink. Not to mention the fact that the human brain can only process five seconds at a time. To sum up, we only exist in 5 second intervals. Life, then, is just 5 short seconds. How wild is that? And how wonderful to learn that lesson many 5 seconds before your death-bed. So, I hereby dedicate my (hopefully multiple) remaining 5 seconds to extreme hedonism. Shopgirlove is well on the way, are you? Oh, and also learning, and growth, and becoming a better person--blah, blah, blah.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

But if you're truly living in your five-second moments, your five-second "now," aren't you just there focusing, experiencing, etc. as opposed to *thinking* about learning, growth, becoming a better person, blah blah blah?

I wonder how we combine living in the five-second (or any length) moment with *planning* and *directing* our lives with purpose so that they have some meaning. (Not that extreme hedonism isn't a darned good way to spend many of one's five-second nows!)

Opti said...

I think the idea is that planning (i.e. living in the future, would increase your pleasure of your five seconds in real life) otherwise, why would we be able to project? I guess. All I know is that I'm all about the five seconds. That's where I choose to live. Come with me!