the best and worst of a day in retail

Saturday, May 26, 2007

My new obsession

Her Name is Leah. She weighs 61/2 lbs. She is 18" tall. And she (unlike her father and her auntie) has a chin! I find myself utterly undone by this event, by my brother's happiness, by my own awe before this new little history waiting to unfold. I am surprised at how very grateful I am to my sister-in-law. I mean, I already worshipped the ground she walks on, but she has achieved a somewhat mythical, hero status in my mind. I find myself wanting to build some sort of shrine to her and make offerings. How weird is that? I sort of understand the whole Mary, mother of God, thing now.
Most of all, though, I am so excited that someone will be lucky enough to have my brother for a father. He is tender and fair and protective and encouraging and goofy and as smart as they come. Lucky you, little Leah. Your parents are amazing as will you be, I am sure.
Lucky me, for having you in my life.
I can't wait to meet you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shopgirl, where are you? We miss you!

I'm sooooo happy for you about your new niece, and I'm hoping that you're off somewhere hugging her to pieces. And I like what you said about your brother, and the mom.

Happiness to the whole bunch of you! I heart you all.

Opti said...

Oh my goodness! I missed this wonderfulness and cannot tell you, whomever you are, how sweet you are to wish us so much joy. I miss you too...and I heart you as well.

I only wish I could be off hugging her. I can't wait to meet her--soon, I hope.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Love,

Your Shopgirlove