the best and worst of a day in retail

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Chez Nous



The apartment is empty but cozy. There is no wasted space at all. I didn't quite realize how not New England it was. We have no hallways. We have no foyer. We do have perfectly serviceable bedrooms and public areas. All the spaces are usable and welcoming. But the arrangements are spartan. This is the kind of apartment that two GIs would rent after the war. Buddies trying to regroup and find their way in the world post service and pre-real-life. It might be transitional. And yet, it has an allure. It is compact, clean, and convenient. Dutch seems happy. He likes to be able to tell what is going on in every corner of the place no matter where he is. He's much more relaxed, now. I think he like limits. And, it is very much quieter than what we were used to. We are on the third floor as opposed to the first. Quite a difference, really. We are only privy to crazy noise now instead of the quotidian intrusions. And I have access to an excellent restaurant. All in all, not so bad!

2 comments:

J said...

Sounds quite quaint but honestly, I am having a hardtime getting a mental image of the place. Not that my mental image of the place is important.

You know, I read your blog-posts and at times am heartened by how you always look life straight in the eye. It is an admirable quality.

More power to you!

Opti said...

Well, I wouldn't call it "quaint" exactly, more "efficient" than anything else. That's not a bad thing right now--it's not like I'm ever home, except to tend to the pooch and bond with Morpheus. And, as for looking life in the eye, I don't know how else to go about it. It's odd, though, many of the people who know me best have made similar remarks of late. What can I say? I value reality-based experience...Thank you for your kind words, though. They were buoying.