the best and worst of a day in retail

Sunday, January 7, 2007

Monotasking

Sometimes the perfect day isn't about getting everything done, or getting anything done, really. It's about getting something started and enjoying the moment.
My mission for today was putting away my clothes. This may not seem like a big deal but my closet is the size of a hamster cage and let's just say, Shopgirlove loves clothes!
So, I bought an armoire which did not come with a clothing rod. It took six months to paint the beast and, finally, yesterday, I went to buy a tension rod. (Note to self: measure your furniture before you buy accessories.) The nice young man at the store told me to try it out before I removed all the wrapping, so I could return it if it didn't work. Smart! Except I forgot and removed the rod from it's original material before gamely attempting to place it inside the beast. Too big!!!! That's o.k. We needed a new shower curtain rod and it will do nicely.
This morning, King Dutch and I go for our walksie and head to the local hardware store. (Equipped with measurements.) Voila! The perfect tension rod! Merrily, merrily, we make our way home and I install said rod. Bingo! Happily, I begin the Clothing Organization Project, from hereon in referred to as "C.O.P". Halfway into C.O.P., the rod loses it's tension and falls. Fine. I increase the tension in said rod. Go operation C.O.P.! Many hangers later--rod down. Realistically, how much more tension can I give this rod? Not enough, apparently! No matter how much torque applied, the rod falls, and all is for naught.
Now is the moment that cleaves the strong from the weak. I can give up and start again next weekend. Or, I can find a solution and be done with C.O.P.
Me, I choose to forge ahead! I drill two holes on each side of the shelf above the rod, fashion supports from a wire hanger, and soldier on. The rod stays put, and C.O.P. is well on the way to completion! Until I run out of hangers...
That's when I went to see Children of Men with Mam. Great movie and ohhhhh Clive! Yum!

No comments: