the best and worst of a day in retail

Friday, January 19, 2007

Surrealism

Well. Shopgirlove has had some odd days in her life. This one may have been the oddest. I am a little disappointed to have topped out so early. (I am only forty!) But, who knows, there's always room for growth.
My last day at work started with my phone being shut off. (This week's pay was meant to go toward the phone, next week's was for rent--but then there was no next week's.) The mail carrier at work discovered my predicament and brought me a money order to get my phoned turned back on. Once again, I am undone by the kindness of my friends.
After an unbelievably long day filled with myriad emotions, Shopgirlove figured out that she was expected to stay after work for a we're sorry you've been let go party. Gosh, what fun! Afterwards, we all trooped off to our sister store for their first foray into hosting performance art after hours in their shop. After forty-five minutes of the unfolding drama of one woman's many near-brushes with wedding dresses, N. and I finally made our escape.
At last, I returned all of my friends calls to discover that I'd missed:

Dinner, a movie, and the reason you have dinner and a movie.

One good friend's stepfather's house burning down.

Another good friend's house flooding.

Well, there! I am officially unemployed and enjoying the bottle of gin given to me by my ex-colleague down the street.
Tomorrow is another day.

2 comments:

Patrick J. Fitzgerald said...

Keep your gin up! ;)

Opti said...

Um...since it's you, I guess I will! Are you going with the cravat?